Monday, June 16, 2008

Homeward Bound - Simon & Garfunkel

Homeward Bound – Simon and Garfunkel

Yesterday, I got up early and drove 3hrs out to PA to spend Father’s Day with my Dad. We had a nice visit even though he slept for most of the time since he had only just got back from a fishing trip up to Lake Erie.

When I arrived, he and Mum were just settling down to lunch: fresh walleye, battered and deep fried in the flash fryer they bought from HSN. It was a very light fry and the walleye was so white and flaky and delicious. Mum served it with pan-fried potatoes and onions and fresh lettuce from her garden. Dad doesn’t eat lettuce so Mum and I ate the tender baby leaves with our fingers unadulterated with dressing, just a sprinkling of salt.

I got caught up on all the family and friends gossip:
The Goodwins up the street are putting their house up for sale.
The guy on the upper street is a pervert and a possible arsonist.
Aunt Debra is in nursing school, studying hard.

Dad put a new windshield wiper on my car. My sister called to wish him a happy father’s day.

Then it was time to go. With many admonitions to “drive safely” and “watch out for deer” and “they are doing construction on Route 80 and traffic will be backed up for miles between Bloomsburg and Berwick”, I gave hugs all around, hopped in my car and drove 3hrs back to NJ.

It was a good day.

What did you do for Father’s Day?

No comments: