Tuesday, September 25, 2007

one time offer



I am happy to report that there have been no recent incidences of animals both dead or alive in my home since last week.

I believe the squirrel was brought into the house as a protest against the current cat food.

Tom has switched up the cat food from Science Diet to Iams and the cats are unhappy and aren’t afraid to show it.

At long last I am going to introduce the uninitiated to the lovely snack known as the Krimpet. A Tale of a Tastykake Original In the summer of 1927, Tastykake bakers developed a recipe for a new finger-sized snack cake. The new cake tasted delicious but it fell apart when the bakers picked it up. To solve this problem, the baking tins were “krimped” to produce a cake that was easier to hold,and the rest is history.


Quick story:

Growing up in central Pennsylvania, the Philadelphia Phillies were the team to root for.

I don’t mention this to my husband especially since right now the Mets and the Phillies are neck and neck in the pennant race.

My dad used to watch the games on TV but listen to Harry Callas call the game on the radio. Inextricably entwined are the memories of summer evenings listening to Harry say, in his made for radio voice “struck him out” followed by the commercial for TastyKake.

“Nobody bakes a cake as tasty as a tastykake (tastykake)”

I wish I could find the jingle for you hear. It was such an innocuous little jingle and yet I remember it to this day.

If you read Janet Evanovich, Stephanie Plum often eats butterscotch Krimpet’s after a hard day’s bounty hunting.

So here’s my offer….if you too would like to try the butterscotchy, sponge cakiness that is a Krimpet, I will be more than happy to send you a sample.

Just email me your address to nejyerf@hotmail.com and I will send a package out to you.
Because I honestly don’t think that you should go through life not knowing what a Krimpet tastes like.

If you DON’T want a Krimpet (and really who doesn’t) but still would like a note from Jen the Giant Fearless Snake Killer email your address anyway and I’ll send you some love.







5 comments:

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

You have heard the expression "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy," I'm sure. In your house it would appear that it's "If kitties ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

And I agree, Krimpets rock.

Dana said...

Well, I can't wait to try one...Like I need a new addiction...

Happy Birthday Krimpet!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm, cake.

I did just read the first Stephanie Plum, recommended by a friend. I'm so glad I know now what a krimpet is. It looks grand. Makes me hungry. Mmmmmm, lunchtime!

The Reluctant Grownup . . . ;)

Anonymous said...

A few weeks ago, I read all the Stephanie Plum books (except #8. for the love of god! did she sleep with Ranger in 8? why do i always miss the sex?)

So yes, Krimpets. Will you please send me one? We have no such animal here. But I love butterscotch with the white-hot heat of a thousand suns, so I'm all about trying these magical, mysterious treats.

Glove made me laugh with his (her?) impression.

34 Years said...

It might shock you to hear, but I lack a sweet tooth.

However, should you find a new form of salty chip/cheeto I will be first in line :)