Friday, November 06, 2009

Ephrata Cloister

One of America's earliest religious communities, the Ephrata Cloister was founded in 1732 by German settlers seeking spiritual goals rather than earthly rewards. Gathered in unique European style buildings, the community consisted of celibate Brothers and Sisters, and a married congregation of families.At the zenith of the community in the 1740s and 1750s, about 300 members worked and worshiped at the Cloister.

I copied and pasted the above to tell you this....the Cloisters slept on a bench with a block for a pillow.

I mention this because lately every morning I wake up with a headache and a crick in my neck. I feel as though I've been sleeping on a board with a block for a pillow.
Note: Above is why the sect died out. Couples just can't get busy on a bench!!

1 comment:

ojamam said...

Think of the savings, evident in your posted picture. When I last priced an economy queen mattress/box springs, plus a sheet set of moderate threadcount, plus a duvet or comforter, I reckoned the bill at $1200.

I wonder where the Cloisterers kept their money? Surely not under their bedding. (Unless those blocks were hollow?)