Thursday, November 19, 2009

Recognition

The other day, when I glanced at myself in the mirror, I saw my mother's face peering out at me.

It took me by surprise.

I have always been told that I resemble my father.

I don't mind looking like my mother. She has a pleasing face.

But it made me wonder if she ever looked in the mirror and saw HER mother? And did my grandmother look in the mirror and see HER mother. And so on. Really when you think about it it could be my great-great-great grandmother's face staring back at me.

This is too deep a thought for a Thursday night.

2 comments:

ojamam said...

Nah. Back then, there were no mirrors. They had to make do with mud puddles.

BUT: sometimes I look at my children, and see my sister peering back.

Melody said...

I have always been told I look like my mother. But this spring when Mom was so so sick, it was startling how much she looked like grandma in the later years. I wondered if I was seeing my future.