Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Quiet Time

All day every day at work I'm talking. On the phone or to my coworkers. I come home and talk to my husband until he falls asleep.

I can't seem to quit talking. My mother calls it "diarrhea of the mouth".

But by the time the weekend rolls around I just want to be silent. On Saturday, when I'm the only one at home, I don't talk to anyone. Except maybe an occasional word to the cats.

I luxuriate in the silence.

Sundays, if Tom has to work I get another day, unless I go to the grocery store. And even then I can maintain silence, especially if I go through the self-check out.

Try it sometime, you will be refreshed for the coming week.

1 comment:

ojamam said...

So true. I remember a kindergarten song about it:
A Wise Old Owl
Sat in an Oak
The more he heard
The less he spoke.

The less he spoke
The more he heard
Why aren't we all
like that wise old bird?