Friday, March 07, 2008

Don't Be a Litter Bug

I actually had a nice list all planned out for today. But on the way home from work last night, I experienced something that simply cried out for a post. So here goes:

I was fourth in a crawling line of cars. The man who was leading this procession drove a green Cadillac. I was not impatient, since the turn to my road was in sight. Much to my chagrin however, the man in the slow moving Cadillac turn down my road, but I contained myself. Home was just a mile away.

As slow-moving Cadillac man continued to creep down Road To Jen’s House, I saw him do something so heinous I can barely write about it here. I saw him flip a plastic Big Gulp cup out the passenger side window.

Yes folks, he LITTERED!!!

I was incensed. So incensed that my hand, seemingly of its own volition, laid on the horn. This startled both me and the litter bug. He pulled over to let me pass, as he obviously thought that I was expressing my disgust at his slow pace.

As I whisked past him, I shook an admonishing finger at him, mouthing “You ought to be ashamed of yourself”, and I continued self-righteously down the road feeling as though I had done my good deed for the day.

I can’t/don’t litter. My mother raised me better than that. But I hadn’t realized how passionately I would react to seeing littering in action.

I was so very tempted to:

1) Take down that man’s license number
2) Call the police department and report him or
3) Follow him home and throw litter in his yard and see how HE likes it

Furthermore, I think that people who get caught littering should be put on a list. Like they do for pedophiles. And the police should send out notices when a litterer moves into a new neighborhood. And they should be shunned or forced to wear litter around their necks as a sign of their transgressions.


So what have we learned today? And what are your suggestions for punishing a litter bug?

7 comments:

Misty said...

actually, in all seriousness, I agree... There should be a strict accountability to those who litter...

Anonymous said...

Once some friends and I were stuck behind another car at some train tracks. As the train is fwooshing by, the driver of the car in front of us chucks his empty cigarette pack out the window. My passenger smiles, opens his door, hops out, walks up to the pack, picks it up, and knocks on the guy's window. The guy, puzzled, rolls it down. My friend says - Dude, I think you dropped something - all sweet and acting totally serious. Then he hands the guy back his trash. The guy is so bewildered, he takes it. My friend smiles again, tips his imaginary hat, and then steps back into our car. All of us in the car erupted into cheers.

Anonymous said...

I despise littering. I also despise people who don't pick up after their dog takes a dump on my lawn or by my mailbox (across the street). I have often wanted to follow them home, drop my pants in front of their house, and do what their dog did on my lawn...now that would be funny!

Anonymous said...

I've learned that Jen's never been to California. The litter capitol of the U.S. Incensed by a Big Gulp cup?!? Try a TV set, strollers, sofas, tires, a car, a boat....

You name something someone doesn't want and I've seen it on the side of the road.

But it all starts with the Big Gulp cup.

There must be harsher punishments for littering. I'd say first offense $1000 fine plus 1 month on the work crew cleaning the sides of the road. 2nd offense $2000/2 mo and upward for each offense.

Where's the ballot? I'll sign it!!!

Robbie

Dana said...

I've learned that, once again, Jen and I have a lot in common. I cannot stand litter. I cannot stand people who litter.

I think it screams lazy, inconsiderate and just plain ignorant.

Rude.

might I add...? said...

It infuriates me, too, when people do that $*!#.

Unfortunately, though, it sounds like Mr. Green Cadillac thought you were pissed at him for driving so slowly.

I've been known to roll down my windows and tell people off for that kind of behavior... as well as other nasty stuff they do. Which tends to embarrass the other people in my car.

Steph said...

I agree with Robbie, California is the litter capitol of the world. People throw EVERYTHING out of their cars there, and will throw things on the ground even if there's a trash can two feet away. In California you will also find a lot of trash inside buildings - half-drunk Frappucinos melting on store shelves, Doritos wrappers under the chairs in the waiting room, empty coffee cups on the bookshelf at the library. It's gross.

I think if you see someone littering, you should be allowed to throw their trash right back at them. And if a straw from that empty Big Gulp stabs them in the eye? Oh, well. Shouldn't be littering then, shouldya?